For those of you who are about to embark upon becoming a grandparent for the first time (or any time actually), I have some helpful tips (also endorsed by my daughter).
- Prepare yourself to be profoundly overwhelmed by the experience, in a way that you never thought possible . . . even more than the birth of your own children!
- Appreciate that research and technologies have advanced greatly since we were parents of new babies . . . we need to mindfully, zip our lips!
- Whenever possible be there to support and talk. (Believe me, this is no hardship!) Meals, baking, housework, burping or rocking baby, adult conversation – anything that gives our weary new mum (and dad), a break.
- Maintain regular contact, often. Bonding and building a special relationship with your precious little grandchild begins very early, start right away!
- Buy yourself a good pair of walking shoes! Walking the streets with an unsettled baby, will help a new mum maintain her sanity and hopefully, have time for a nap!